- Stockfish Chess
Strong free chess program.
* Free, but much stronger than most commercial iPhone chess apps!
* Plays aggressive and dynamic chess, and is not afraid of sacrificing material for initiative or attacking chances.
* Adjustable playing strength.
* Choose between several styles of play: "Passive", "Solid", "Active", "Aggressive" or "Suicidal".
* Big, deep and varied opening book. Choose between three levels of book variety.
* Displays book moves and engine analysis, including search depth, evaluations and main lines.
* Allows you to easily set up board positions.
* Able to think during the opponent's time, for maximum playing strength (disabled by default, in order to save battery life).
* Supports saving and loading games to PGN files, sending games by e-mail, and transferring PGN files between your device and your computer.
* Play against the machine, or play both sides, with or without book moves and engine analysis displayed on the screen.
* Choose from seven piece sets and seven color schemes.
* Complete source code available under the GNU General Public License.
Version 2.4 (Mar 24, 2011)
* New "Move list" menu item brings up a clickable move list from which you can easily jump easily to any location in the current game.
* Bug fixes.
Version 2.3 (Mar 15, 2011)
* Playing strength improved by about 30 Elo points.
* Supports dual-core CPUs, for faster and stronger play on the iPad 2.
* Weaker play at the easiest levels.
* Numerous bug fixes.
Version 2.2 (Nov 15, 2010)
* iPad support.
* Name updated to "Stockfish", like the desktop version of the program.
* Several new piece sets.
* Numerous bug fixes.
Version 2.1 (Aug 10, 2010)
Improved playing strength.
Version 2.0 (Jul 1, 2010)
Much stronger play at the hardest levels.
Much weaker play at the easiest levels.
Support for import and export of PGN (portable game notation) game files.
Improved graphics, and support for the high-resolution displays of the new iPhone 4.
Experimental support for running the chess engine remotely on your home computer, for much faster and stronger play.
Numerous bug fixes and minor enhancements.
Version 1.0.1 (Mar 11, 2009)
* Numerous bug fixes and stability improvements.
* Figurine notation (optional).
* Minor adjustments to board colors.