- The Guardian Eyewitness
The Guardian Eyewitness app for iPad showcases the world’s most striking and beautiful photographs, providing a daily, visual reflection of global events.
The Guardian Eyewitness has been developed to offer a customised iPad experience, bringing thought-provoking imagery direct to your device on a daily basis.
Created by the same team that developed the Guardian iPhone app and the Guardian iPad edition, the app offers:
• Rolling access to the latest 100 images from our award-winning photography series - free
• Custom designed interface built specifically to take advantage of the iPad
• 'Pro tips' written by our award-winning photography team to offer technical insights
• Photographic EXIF data, when available
• View collections as a slideshow and thumbnails
• Ability to save photos as favourites and share them via email, Twitter and Facebook
• Pixel-perfect retina display images for new iPads
• Optional auto-renewable subscription for extra daily photographs
Free access to our original, award-winning Eyewitness photography series, which appears in full colour in the centre spread of the Guardian newspaper each day
Upgrade to Eyewitness Premium and receive over 100 additional photographs for £1.49 a month (or local equivalent):
Three more amazing daily photographs in the style of original Eyewitness, selected by the Guardian’s picture desk
Exclusive live series from major global events, one picture daily
Curated photography collections, one picture daily, when live series are not running
Eyewitness Premium is available via an auto-renewable subscription as follows:
- The subscription costs £1.49 for one month
- Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase
- Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
- Your account will be charged for renewal within the 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, at a cost of £1.49 for a further month
- You can manage your subscription via your iTunes account and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to Account Settings after purchase
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during the active subscription period
- The Guardian reserves the right to alter the pricing at any point
- Your will keep your access to the free Eyewitness series whether or not you choose to subscribe to Eyewitness Premium
For terms and conditions, please see http://guardian.co.uk/terms
Version 1.2.4 (Feb 18, 2013)
Minor bug and usability fixes.
Version 1.2.3 (Nov 12, 2012)
Minor bug and usability fixes
Version 1.2.2 (Sep 18, 2012)
Version 1.2.1 (Aug 15, 2012)
Resolved the the issue of Eyewitness Extra images not appearing for all subscribers.
Version 1.2 (Jul 26, 2012)
Eyewitness Premium, comprising:
Three more stunning pictures a day - 80 a month - selected for the app by the Guardian’s picture desk
The standout pictures from major global news and sports events, delivered in live daily photo series
Eyewitness Premium is an optional auto-renewable subscription, priced at £1.49 a month.
Subscribers will receive Eyewitness Extra plus access to the current or last published live series.
Your subscription will automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
Version 1.1.3 (May 30, 2012)
Version 1.1.2 (Apr 24, 2012)
EXIF data display
User interface improvements
Version 1.1.1 (Mar 28, 2012)
* Retina graphics for app furniture
* Count of photos in the popover menu
* Caption and pro tip text can be increased or decreased by pinch and zoom
* Added Slideshow options - loop and interval control
* Performance improvements for image downloads
* Now supports multi-tasking and background downloading
* Many small usability improvements and bug fixes
Version 1.1.0 (Feb 22, 2012)
Minor stability and usability fixes
Twitter messaging improvements
Version 1.0.9 (Nov 21, 2011)
- Favourite images are remembered when the app is closed
- Favourite images will be preserved even when the device is low on space
- Wi-Fi settings will persist when the app is closed
- Improved user experience when pictures are downloading
- Minor stability and usability fixes
Version 1.0.8 (Nov 1, 2011)
Fixes photo scrolling bug
Uses native Twitter support on iOS5.0
Fixes Facebook sharing
User interface improvements and bug fixes
Redesigned settings panel
Added an option to allow photo download over 3G
Faster photo downloading
Version 1.0.5 (Feb 16, 2011)
Pinch and zoom photos for a closer look.
The toolbar is full size in all orientations to allow for easier use.
Improvements have been made to the Twitter functions including sharing tools and language style.
The app is smaller and faster.
Fixed an issue where images could be duplicated when changing timezone on the device between sessions of Eyewitness.
Other, minor, bug fixes.
Version 1.0.4 (Jan 20, 2011)
Enhancements to the interface.
Additional product and technical information.
Streamlining the app behaviour when the app is in slideshow mode. The lock function will no longer interrupt the slideshow experience.
Version 1.0.3 (Dec 3, 2010)
-Reduced memory usage when downloading images
- iOS 4.2 compatibility changes (app does not multitask, but uses old style lifecycle)
- Video auto-play turned off
Version 1.0.2 (May 11, 2010)
-Fixes blank picture bug from 1.0.1.
Version 1.0.1 (May 5, 2010)
New: post Eyewitness pictures to Twitter
Fixed: check for network connections before posting to Facebook
Fixed: potential crash on startup
Fixed: occasional crash on empty thumbnails