**Ending regular issues**: The Magazine is ceasing publication after December 2014. We will continue to accept new subscriptions until our final issue in December, and then issue pro-rated refunds of remaining balances after December 31, 2014. If you are a current subscriber, you need take no action. Thank you all for your remarkable support across out 28-month run.
The Magazine is an electronic periodical for curious people with a technical bent. We publish an issue every 2 weeks with four (and sometimes more) feature articles.
We write about espresso, typewriters, the revival of a defunct brand of instant film, role-playing boardgames, stick-shift cars, bird watching, pinhole digital cameras; the loss of a parent whose life was devoted to software, a man building a full-scale Millennium Falcon, the impact of personally owned unmanned aircraft, how red-light cameras increase accidents; and so much more. We mix in-depth reporting by writers who contribute regularly to major national magazines and Web sites with personal essays that will delight you and bring tears.
Our articles have a connection — from a thread to a rope — that links each tale to technology, the digital world, or the spirit of a geeky point of view. For instance, when we run an article on making espresso, we peel away the mystery and provide useful information. When you read about biking in the Netherlands, you find how the country's focus on infrastructure leads 84% of its residents to cycle regularly.
Subscriptions are $1.99 per month with a free 7-day trial or $19.99 per year (no trial period). Individual issues may be purchased for $1.99 each. Subscriptions include permanent ownership of all issues received during a subscription period, but include no free access to back issues.
Subscriptions are billed and auto-renewed each month as follows:
• Payment will be charged to iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
• Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
• Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
• Account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, at the monthly or yearly rate at the time of renewal.
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period will be forfeited upon purchase of a subscription.
The Magazine is published by Aperiodical LLC in Seattle, WA.
Fixes several issues related to accessing in-app purchases and subscriptions on our Web site; other bug fixes.
• Easier navigation of issues and tables of contents.
• Permanent ownership of any issue published during an active subscription.
• Single-issue sales and issue-bundle sales with no subscription requirement or commitment.
• More prominent display of covers.
• Pull up and down at the top and bottom of articles to navigate to the previous and next article.
• Access to back issues (before subscription) are no longer included in subscriptions.
• Adopted TypeEngine publishing platform.
• Added ability to link account with email and password to provide simple access to reading and downloads via web site (at no additional cost).
* Fixed display problem with sharing pop-over on iPad in iOS 7.
* Cosmetic fixes for iOS 7 fonts and sharing icons.
* Settings button now works again on the iPad in iOS 7.
- Added yearly subscription option (no trial period). For a trial, sign up for monthly, which offers a 7-day, no-obligation, free trial. If you like what you see, you can switch to yearly to take effect at the end of any billing month.
- Updated Foreword.
- We're listening to your feedback! Watch for future updates that incorporate a number of much-requested features.
- New "Write Letter to Editor" feature in actions menu. We'd love to hear from you, and we may publish your
letters in future issues.
- The Gmail and Sparrow apps are now supported for email-based features in addition to Mail.
- Fixed bugs and crashes.
Remember, readers of shared articles now see full text (for a limited number of articles per month). Please share
your favorite articles to help spread The Magazine. Thanks!
Shared links now show full article text! Now you can share without worrying about whether your friends or readers will be able to see the full articles. (Web readers get a limited number of free article views before they're asked to subscribe.)
Please help us spread the word about The Magazine by sharing links to your favorite articles!
- Downloading and animation bugfixes.
- Updated Foreword to reflect our current focus and direction.
- You can now log into the website with your app's subscription.
- Saving to Instapaper now works offline.
NOTE: There's an animation glitch in this version affecting some subscribers that usually goes away after a minute or two. I'm looking into it. Sorry about that.
- Issues can now be collapsed in the list by tapping their header bars. (Or swipe to delete them.)
- Selected free-sample issues can be downloaded before subscribing.
- Much faster and more stable under the hood. (Geeks: a complete model-layer rewrite, now using Core Data.)
- Many cosmetic and functional bugfixes and improvements.
The first time you launch this version, issues will need to be redownloaded. The most recent two will download automatically.
- Improved legibility on iPad mini
- Better in-app-purchase flow
- Many small bugfixes and improvements
- Share links within articles or send them to Instapaper
- Share selected text from articles
- Post to App.net with Netbot if you have Netbot installed
- New Settings screen: manage your subscription, choose from installed web browsers for opening links (supports Safari, Chrome, Opera Mini, iCab Mobile, Grazing, Mercury, Dolphin, and Terra)
Fixed subscriptions on multiple devices with the same Apple ID.