You wish you could play any video file on your iPhone/iPad, no matter its format? that's why we made GPlayer.
@ZDNET: GPlayer fills the iOS void left by VLC!
* Follow our Twitter @GinkgoTech to get the free code when new version released.
* GPlayer was honored as "app of the Week" in the Appcast.
* Supported File Format Extension
- XVID/DIVX AVI, WMV, RMVB, ASF, H264, MKV, TS, M2TS... most of all movie file formats.
- MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC... most of all audio file formats.
- SMI, ASS, SUB, SRT, TXT... most of all subtitle file formats. [build in subtitle is also supported]
* Extra Features
- USB Sync: Use itunes to fast sync movies to GPlayer.
- WIFI Upload: Upload movie even you don't have the cable.
- File Management: Support New/Rename/Cut/Paste/Delete.
- Movie Thumbnail: Easy to find the movie you want to view.
- Different Play Mode: Support Loop off/Loop One/Loop all.
- Screen Lock: View your movie even on the bed.
- Dynamically Menu: Dynamically choose audio/subtitle channel and encoding method.
- Gesture support: Easier way to do seek while playing the movie.
- Resume Function: Don't worry about closing your application suddenly.
- TV Out: Both cable TV out and AirPlay are supported.
- iTunes Backup: By default, we will not backup media data when you do iTunes sync or iCloud backup, and you can't see the files in iTunes, you can enable it in the settings page to backup your media data.
- How do I put files into GPlayer?
To add files to your GPlayer app, you have to go to iTunes, and select the “Apps” tab. At the bottom of this page, there’s a “File sharing” section – just select GPlayer in the list, and add files from there. Note that you don’t have to sync your iPhone or iPad to iTunes to add movies. Just drop files in the “File sharing” tab, and they’ll be uploaded immediately. You can even use a friend’s iTunes to add videos to your own iPhone. Also, adding files over WiFi is supported. Indeed, WiFi is significantly slower than USB, and ruins the battery life.
- What kind of streams does GPlayer play?
GPlayer is able to play RTSP and MMS streams. For now those can’t be added to the media library, but you can click an RTSP or MMS url in Safari or Mail for example.
If you want to use GPlayer to open HTTP/FTP streaming, add "gplayer:" prefix in the URL.
- I want to explicitely open an attachment with GPlayer?
If you want to watch an attachment in GPlayer(from Mail for example), just do a long press on the attachment. A menu will pop-up that will let you pick GPlayer as a player.
- iTunes won’t let me install GPlayer on my iPhone or iPod Touch?
Unfortunately, we had to drop support for older iOS devices such as the iPhone 3G or the first two versions of iPods. Indeed, after some testing, we realized those weren’t fast enough to provide a pleasant experience.
- Why HD MKV movies don’t play smoothly?
Currently, only iPad 2 supports 720p MKV file, that’s to be expected. The other iDevices have limited computing power, and cannot handle the complex task of decoding HD movies in real time.
- The audio and the video is not in sync?
That is because the CPU is not power enough to do video decoding, you can try to enable "Skip Frame" in the settings page.
- Is there a TV-out support?
Yep, supports iPod gen4, iPhone4, iPhone4S and iPad 1/2.
* Contact us
* If you want to help to translate GPlayer to your mother language, just drop a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, that will help people in your country enjoy this software, and we will put your name in thanks page!
1. iOS7 UI update.
2. Add Open URL feature.
Turn on backup in the settings page of GPlayer to fix file lost issue.
1. Samba external subtitle support.
2. Volume gesture support.
3. Fix a seek crash bug.
4. Fix delete multiple files bug.
5. Other bug fix.
1. iOS7 compatibility bug fix.
2. Add password for folders/file.
- Album cover support.
- Add options to adjust volume by gestures.
- Add options to lock videos into landscape mode.
- VoiceOver enhancement(English and Chinese).
- Some other bug fixed.
Note: this update still has AC3 codec issue, don't update it if your movies are mainly MKV/VOB files.
- Add samba streaming feature.
Mac OS: Enable it in System Preferences-Sharing-File Sharing-Options.
Windows: Enable folder sharing by right click the folder.
- iPhone5 and iOS6 support.
Warning: still has ac3 issue in this version, backup before you do the update.
- Unzip file with password.
Backup your GPlayer to iTunes before you do this update, this version removed ac3/eac3/truehd audio codec.
Note: Copy a video/audio file to GPlayer to enable UPnP function.
- Fix a crash issue when doing background playback.
- Add subtitle color, subtitle border color settings.
- Add build-in unzip feature.
- Other bug fix.
- Build-in UPnP client, you can streaming videos/audios/photos from UPnP/DLNA servers.
- Change video encoding method in the settings page.
- Hardware decoding remember last played position now.
- Add Unicode (UTF-16) decoding method for subtitle files.
- Fix TV out subtitle size issue, use two fingers to zoom in/out subtitle, and use one finger to adjust subtitle position.
- Update Polish, Arabic, Chinese language, thanks to Mariusz Nicpoń and Youssef Alzahhar, if you can help to translate missed words in your mother language, just drop us a mail to let us know.
- Retina display for the new iPad.
- UI update.
- Enhance TV out performance.
- Multiple line subtitle support.
- Add arabic language.
- Bug fix.
- Performance enhancement.
- Playback speed control.
Enable backup in the settings page of GPlayer will fix the file lost issue.
- Update Portuguese language.
- Bug fix.
- Add iTunes/iCloud backup function.
By default, we will not backup media data when you do iTunes sync or iCloud backup, and you can't see the files in iTunes, you can enable it in the settings page to backup your media data.
Note: For the AVI file crash issue on iPad2 and iPhone4s, turn off Multiple Threads in the settings page.
- Add build-in FTP server, now you can drag folders to GPlayer by using FTP client, such as FileZilla, Cyberduck
and Windows Explorer.
- Add password function.
- Add WIFI-Upload button when there is no file under the Document.
- Add Turkish, Japanese, German language.
- Update Chinese, Polish, Korean, Italian, Russian, Spanish language.
- Add WIFI upload feature. [Suggest to use Safari or Chrome to upload files]
- Gesture support.
- UI update.
- Performance enhancement.
- Update URL Scheme from "gplayer://" to "gplay:"
- Support IOS5.
- Support AirPlay Mirroring. [Need IOS5 and APPLE TV]
- Bug fix.
- Add file management. [new/rename/cut/paste/delete]
- Fix a bug that some movies will not in sync at the beginning.
- Add TV out support. [iPhone4/iPod4 and iPad]
- You can change subtitle size and position dynamically.
- You can change aspect radio dynamically.
- Add lock screen feature.
- You can view movies under Inbox folder.
- Fix a bug that when there is no movie in the GPlayer, you can't open the movie from mail attachment.
- Add Polish, Russian, Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, French language.