PhotoCalc is a utility for iPhone and iPod for photographers to calculate exposure reciprocation, depth of field, and flash exposure.
PhotoCalc offers handy calculations for professional or hobbyist photographers working in the studio or in the field. PhotoCalc provides exposure reciprocation, depth of field and hyper-focal distance calculations, and flash exposure calculations.
In addition to the calculators, PhotoCalc features a reference section with a glossary, and several reference documents such as the Zone System, and the Sunny 16 Rule.
PhotoCalc's reference section also contains an integrated version of Sunrise, a sunrise/sunset calculator that uses iPhone's ability to determine your location to accurately calculate the time of sunrise, sunset and solar noon for the current day, or any day you select.
PhotoCalc remembers the last position and values used, so it's easy to switch to another application or take a phone call and return to the exact same position.
PhotoCalc's features include:
- Exposure Reciprocation calculator
- Depth of Field and Hyper-focal Distance calculator
- Flash Exposure calculator
- Integrated version of Sunrise, a sunrise/sunset/solar noon calculator with a worldwide database of locations
- Reference section with glossary, and reference documents
- Configurable to English or Metric units
- Configurable to use half or third stops
- Comprehensive camera database for Depth of Field calculations
- Saves position, so it's easy to switch in and out
(Please note: version 1.2.1 of PhotoCalc is required for compatibility with Apple's OS 2.2.1 update!)
Updates in this version include:
- iOS 4.0 compatibility and enhancements
- an updated camera database for depth of field calculations
- a refreshed user interface for reference material
- updated camera database with new cameras from popular manufacturers.
- various user interface tweaks and improvements.
- support now available via Twitter at @adairsystems.
Version 1.2.1 is a critical update which resolves a compatibility issue with iPhone/iPod touch OS version 2.2.1.
Additionally, version 1.2.1 addresses other requested features, and enhances the sunrise/sunset calculator.
Sunrise calculator adds a global location database, phase of the moon and twilight times. Measurements in feet now display feet and inches, versus decimal feet. The tab bar can be configured to choose which calculators should appear in what order. Multiple cameras can be added, to allow easy switching. The camera list has been reworked to be in alphabetical sections, with a quick-jump index down the side. Sunrise calculator is moved out of the Reference section into its own calculator item. Corrected a calculation error in the reciprocation calculator when solving for aperture. Glossary now has a quick-jump index. Added a button to copy hyperfocal distance to subject distance in depth of field calculator. Various cosmetic changes.
Version 1.0.1 is a maintenance release that corrects several issues in the initial version. It corrects a bug in the flash exposure calculator that could give incorrect results. It also resolves a condition which could cause the application to crash for certain rare values. Additionally, it adds support for the Nikon D700, as well as using the appropriate decimal separator in the flash distance editing screen.