Shot Designer is a ground-breaking tool for Directors and DPs that creates Animated Camera Diagrams, with Shot List, Storyboards and Director's Viewfinder, and Sync and Team Sharing for Pro Users.
"A great App for Directors and DP's alike! Lightning fast shot designs. Don't be without it on the set." -- John Badham, Director, Saturday Night Fever, WarGames
"Excellent tool for planning my scenes fast!" -- Clint Reagan, Previz Supervisor, Hunger Games, Prometheus, Knight & Day, GI Joe
WHAT IS SHOT DESIGNER?
• CAMERA DIAGRAM - Shot Designer dramatically speeds up the Director's process of making camera diagrams. Create
full-blown diagrams in seconds. The software does most of the work.
• ANIMATION - Animate your characters and cameras to move around your diagram in real-time. Previsualize the rhythm of a scene by seeing it play out.
• SHOT LIST - The integrated Shot List is tied into the diagram and writes itself while you work. Edit shots intuitively in the diagram, not in a confusing spreadsheet.
• DIRECTOR'S VIEWFINDER / STORYBOARDS - Bring in lens-accurate camera angles via the integrated Director's Viewfinder or Storyboard Import.
• MAC/PC DESKTOP VERSION - An identical Mac/PC Desktop Version is included with the Pro Version (in-app upgrade).
• SYNC & TEAM SHARING - Sync your scenes across all your devices. Share scene folders with teams. Control who owns which scene. (Pro Feature)
Watch the feature-demo at http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/sd_videos.html
CAMERA-BLOCKING ON STEROIDS
Shot Designer was developed by Per Holmes, the creator of the renowned Hollywood Camera Work training, and has been developed in conjunction with major TV and Film productions.
Shot Designer is based on the realization that neither Camera Diagrams, Shot Lists, or Storyboards by themselves give you a satisfying understanding of camera-blocking -- you have to use them *together*.
Shot Designer is FAST. The app knows how Directing works and automatically does most of the work for you. Cameras rearrange themselves when you move characters. Animate characters and cameras with simple Walk To and Track To commands. Create sophisticated tracking shots with multiple marks. Shot Designer is fast enough that you can rearrange the diagram with actors waiting.
• Integrated Set Designer for building floor plans.
• Integrated Lighting Designer for DPs, with lighting symbols provided by Ari Golan of Atomic Imaging Studios Chicago.
• Import production drawings as backgrounds and block on top of them.
• Factory Templates of pre-made camera setups for any situation.
• Make your own templates as starting points for new scenes.
• Large and growing prop/furniture library. Email us requests, we'll build them.
• Scene Freeze: Experiment easily by taking snapshots you can return to (Pro).
• PDF/JPG/Excel export and emailing of Camera Diagrams and Shot Lists (Pro).
• Unlimited Folder Structure for organizing scenes (Pro).
The Free Version of Shot Designer is full-featured except for Save and Export. Your current scene is always saved,
and you can be fully productive working on one scene at a time. The Pro Version (in-app upgrade) adds File Management,
identical Mac/PC Desktop Version, Sync and Team Sharing, PDF/JPG/Excel Export, Scene Freeze and more.
MAJOR NEW FEATURE: Sync and Team Sharing via Dropbox (Pro Feature). Sync all your scenes across all your devices. Share folders with team members. Control who owns which scene.
NEW FEATURE: Walls now have a "Closed Loop" option for continuous walls. Walls also automatically become "Closed Loop" walls if the last point you tap is the same as the first.
NEW FEATURE: The mobile app now alerts when updates are available, reminding you to update.
NEW FEATURE: For safety, the app now keeps a trail of recovery files that can be sent to us for analysis or repair in extreme cases.
NEW FEATURE: Sun light.
IMPROVEMENT: Organize Scenes will now close any open documents before starting in order to prevent conflicts.
IMPROVEMENT: Organize Scenes can now delete files in the Imported folder.
BUG: Fixed issue regarding pressing Undo very fast, causing multiple Undos to run simultaneously.
BUG: Prop layer lock status wasn't being saved.
BUG: Fixed Wall Tool calculation issue with closed-loop walls.
BUG: The "Scalable" setting wasn't being copied when animating or duplicating props.
[NEW FEATURE] Shot Numbering: Shots can now be numbered Cam A/B/C, Cam 1/2/3, Cam 0001/0002/0003, Shot A/B/C, Shot 1/2/3, Shot 0001/0002/0003, and Version 1/2/3, A/B/C and I/II/III. Access in Shot List menu.
[NEW FEATURE] Shot Numbering: Shot numbers can be entered arbitrarily using new "Type..." button. Allows large and non-contiguous numbers.
[NEW FEATURE] Shot Numbering: Shot Numbers can now be turned on/off in "Show Fields" menu.
[IMPROVEMENT] Made it easier to select Shot Descriptions when they're over Props.
[IMPROVEMENT] Quadrupled PDF resolution and fixed bug causing text to print at lower resolution. Still not optimal, but much better.
[IMPROVEMENT] Added fields to CSV export for 3rd party compatibility: Native camera number, Native version number, Camera color index, Camera color value.
[IMPROVEMENT] It now requires one fewer taps/clicks to open Shot Description editors from the Shot List.
[IMPROVEMENT] Shot Description input now trims extra spaces and line-feeds.
[IMPROVEMENT] Added various camera formats and device lens profiles.
[BUG] Fixed Layer State would persist when creating a new scene.
[BUG] Fixed app would crash when over 10 stop marks were used due to rendering issue.
[BUG] Fixed scrolling issue while editing Long Description due to inadvertent code edit.
* iPhone 5 Support.
* Many improvements to Director's Viewfinder. Saves images to Camera Roll (disable in Settings menu). More spontaneous access via the Plus (+) menu and by long-pressing the canvas. Added many camera formats. Menus easier to tap.
* Many small improvements and some bug fixes.
[NEW FEATURE] Alert System: If there is a bug or an issue you need to be a aware of, we can now push a message to the app.
[IMPROVEMENT] Changed used of word "Crash" to "Error" because it's less alarmist. Your data is almost always safe.
[BUG] Fixed error when deleting last control points via context menu.
[BUG] Fixed Edit Caption error on Storyboard frames.
[BUG] Fixed issue with Scene Freeze and Undo not properly deleting objects.
[BUG] Fixed Wall Tool issue when creating first point slowly, causing premature auto-save.
[BUG] Fixed error when loading JPG files with corrupted EXIF camera data.
[BUG] Fixed scrolling issue in Shot List exhibiting problems on iPhone.
[BUG] Fixed issue regarding the Wall Tool that could cause a crash under very specific circumstances. A decimal error could result in mathematically illegal numbers.
[BUG] Fixed issue regarding using Shot List -> New Shot on iPhone.
[BUG] Fixed issue that could happen when first segments of new Wall were drawn too fast.
[IMPROVEMENT] Removed panning for in-between cameras on a track. It was annoying when tracking back and forth on the same track. A better system for panning while tracking is coming soon.
[IMPROVEMENT] Camera Roll on iPad now appears in the correct location.
[IMPROVEMENT] Increased the maximum number of control points in lines (Walk Arrows, Tracks, Walls) to 40 instead of 20.
[NEW FEATURE] Walls now have the ability to turn Grid Snap on and off, which makes tracing background drawings easier. Look in the context menu for Walls, next to "Soft Curve".
[NOTICE] Switched version number to 1.1 for technical reasons, even though the above is a very small update.