••• Winter Sale 50%-off! ••• As seen in Apple's October 2013 Special Event Keynote! Theodolite is a multi-function viewfinder that combines a compass, two-axis inclinometer, rangefinder, GPS, map, nav calculator, tracker, and geo-tag photo/movie camera into one indispensable app. Uses are endless, and the app is great for hiking, boating, hunting, golf, outdoor sports, sightseeing, navigation, and finding your way around. Theodolite is used extensively by surveyors, geologists, architects, engineers, competitive sportsmen, first responders, military personnel, and search and rescue workers around the world. Find out why Apple named Theodolite one of the most amazing apps available and showed it being used to explore the Great Wall of China. Where will you take it on your next adventure?
Theodolite lets you take geo-tagged camera images, screenshots, movies, and screen movies directly from the app, with 2X and 4X digital zoom and fast buffered saves. You can choose to stamp geographical data and custom notes directly on photos and movies for later reference.
View your current position on the built in map view, with standard, satellite, and hybrid modes, compass rose, and bearings. Theodolite lets you create custom "live" map markers that continually update distance/heading relative to the current location. Share map markers and nav calculator points with other users of Theodolite and Theodolite HD via SMS text messages and e-mail. This powerful capability opens up a wide range of collaborative uses which include team land surveying, accident investigations, spotting of wild fires, triangulation of landmarks, and advanced tactical observation and targeting operations.
Theodolite includes features for serious users like a reference angle mode, a nav calculator, data logging, e-mail export with KML, system-wide clipboard integration, percent grade display, mil compass readout, optical rangefinders (including a mil-based reticle, sniper-style stadiametric graphs, and a variable 4X-24X scope), and colored lens filters to improve use in dark conditions and preserve night vision. The app can provide location in military grid reference system (MGRS) coordinates, universal transverse Mercator (UTM) coordinates, British/Irish National Grids, and six latitude/longitude formats. The optional "Datum Pack" adds over 220 geodetic datums to the app for more accurate position and altitude computation from GPS data. Optional datums include NAD-27, NAD-83, OSGB-36, ED-50, and hundreds of others, covering regions and countries on all continents around the world.
With an optional in-app purchase to enable team tracking, you can share location with up to 20 people on Theodolite's map. Team tracking was developed in conjunction with search and rescue teams to offer a good balance between simplicity and performance. It deliberately avoids using continuous updates and background GPS operations to minimize impacts on battery life. It does not require complicated logins or authentications. All location information is transmitted privately within a team, and members can opt to temporarily disable tracking on their device when additional privacy is needed.
Theodolite has been featured several times in iTunes in "Rewind: Hot Trends in Apps", "The World Around You", and "New and Noteworthy". It has been a #1 selling Navigation app in App Stores around the world. Since its introduction in 2009, Theodolite has defined augmented reality navigation. The app continually introduces new technologies, pushing the limits of iOS app development and setting the pace for the competition.
Theodolite works on any iPhone or iPod Touch with camera. GPS and compass requires an iPhone 3GS/4/4S/5/5C/5S. Gyro use requires an iPhone 4/4S/5/5C/5S or iPod Touch 4/5. The app uses high res artwork for the Retina Display.
Also check out Theodolite HD for iPad and iPad Mini, with an interface designed specifically for the iPad's screen!
* Redesigned user interface for iOS 7.
* Fix for quitting issues on iOS 7 if user denied permission to access the microphone with the app's movie mode enabled.
* Added optical rangefinder specs for iPhone 5S.
* Theodolite will now disable movie recording if user denies permission to access the microphone.
* Theodolite will now disable photo capture and movie recording if the user denies permission to access the photo album.
Check your privacy options in System Settings > Privacy to override these behaviors (this is part of iOS, not Theodolite).
ATTENTION iOS 7 USERS: if the app quits on launch, it is because you did not allow access to the microphone. You can override this in system settings > privacy > microphone. For more information, see the app's user manual FAQ section or e-mail the developer. Please do not leave tech support requests in iTunes reviews, as we have no way to respond to you.
* Optional "Datum Pack" in-app purchase that adds over 220 new geodetic datums to the app for more accurate position and altitude computation from GPS data. Datums include NAD-27, NAD-83, OSGB-36, ED-50, and hundreds of others, covering regions and countries on all continents around the world.
* Four new position formats for the UK and Ireland, including British National Grid and Irish National Grid. Absolute and Subgrid relative Eastings and Northings are given.
* Revised hardware status indicators and status screen.
Fixed issues with map marker sharing, team sharing, and banner graphics. Added rangefinder specs for newly announced iOS devices.
Support for iOS 6 and iPhone 5. Improvements to map marker sharing. Improved rendering of map markers, compass rose, and azimuth pointer. Live map markers, with realtime distance/heading updates (relative to current position). Map marker sharing and e-mail export integration with Gaia GPS. Improved handling of MGRS, UTM, and UTM-B search/lookup on map screen using format prefixes (see user manual for details). Variable 4X-24X rangefinder scope reticle. SLR camera style round wire reticle with focus prism and exposure indicator. Team tracking available through in-app purchase (see user manual for details).
NEW! Movie recording, with optional screen/watermark overlays and multiple video quality settings. Three large-format stadiametric rangefinders (sniper/artillery/hunter style, showing distance multipliers, yards, or meters). Revised position formats with new decimal minutes option. Larger font sizing for photo data stamp watermark, with three color options. Onscreen indicator for magnetic declination errors. Bug fix to e-mail export URLs. Numerous performance improvements and tweaks.
Ability to share map markers and A-B points with other users of Theodolite Pro and Theodolite HD via SMS text messages and e-mail. To access this feature, tap any marker shown on the built-in map, and then tap the "Share" button on the marker's popup. Data shared from normal markers includes position and marker name. Data shared from A or B points include position, altitude, azimuth, elevation angle, and horizon angle. This allows users to share A-B measurement points for distributed and team calculations.
Fixed bug in storage of map markers and added rangefinder lens specs for the iPhone 4S.
Combined distance/height calculation in A-B calculator. Data logging feature with clipboard integration and e-mail export.
* Location search/lookup capability on map panel
* Ability to add and manage position markers on map
* A/B markers now shown on map automatically
* A/B map markers now include bearing indicator arrows
* Display of A/B/C bearing and triangulation lines on map
* Added button to quickly recenter map to current location
* Improved accuracy of A/B/C triangulation calculations
* Display of floating A/B markers on screen dials for bearing, horizon, and elevation angles
* Revised reticle artwork
* New fullscreen wire style reticle
* Added 0.1 sec screen display precision to coordinates in DMS mode
* Improved screenshot rendering process
Bug fix to avoid crash when entering photo notes while image save in progress. Enabled use of flash on iPhone 4. Revised preferences UI.
Performance improvements for smoother rendering and lower CPU usage, high res 960x640 screenshots on devices with Retina display, faster photography engine from our new app gyroCam, buffered image saves (shooting can continue while images are saved in a background thread), red/green/gold/gray lens filters to improve use in dark conditions and preserve night vision, recalibration of optical rangefinders with proper lens specs on all devices, additional mil-based rangefinder, refined UI look and feel, and reduction in overall memory usage.
Geo-tag metadata (position, altitude, bearing, datum, compass reference, user note) now saved in image EXIF headers when taking photos and screenshots. New icon artwork.
Gyro-compass fusion for improved azimuth reading, banded UTM position format option, mil reading on compass display, true/magnetic compass indicator, expanded accuracy specs, compass rose overlay on map.
Fix to avoid "stuck shutter" issue in iOS 4 when taking photos on iPhone 4 with the flash on.
Bug fix to correct alert dialogs and keyboards that were showing up in the wrong orientation on some devices.
Multitasking support for iOS4, high-res artwork for iPhone 4 Retina display, use of gyro in iPhone 4, improved optical-mechanical calibration, background completion for photo export, revised optical rangefinder for iPhone 4 camera, numerous interface tweaks.
Display of percent grade, UTM position format, Clock, Mil-dot reticle, Revised A-B calculator interface, Independent setting of A,B points with memory, Added distances to triangulation calculation, Added hardware accuracy to photo stamp, E-mail data export with KML file, Bug fix to match geo-data to exact instant photo was taken when writing notes on photos, App name updated to Theodolite "Pro" concurrent with availability of Basic and Free versions of the app
Optical rangefinder for quick determination of distance to objects in view. More precise mechanical (accelerometer based) rangefinder added to A-B calculator. New position formats including absolute and relative latitude/longitude and Military Grid Reference System (MGRS). Update to documentation.
Thanks to feedback and suggestions from users, engineers, surveyors, and geologists around the world, Theodolite
1.1 has some great new features:
* A-B Calculator options to compute height of landmarks, triangulate position, compute distance/heading between points, show relative angles between observations, and show two points on the map. The calculator includes an option to copy results to the clipboard. Theodolite will save observation data for point A if the app is quit before recording data for point B.
* Zero Reference mode to show relative angles
* Option to take screenshots from camera button
* Option to show/hide crosshairs on saved photos
* Option to write custom note/text on saved photos
* Status message displayed while image save in progress
* DMS option for latitude/longitude format
* Revised time/date to better capture local/national formats
* Documentation/Help/FAQ link under settings
* Option to show onscreen tool tips
* Button to copy current data to the iPhone's system-wide clipboard as text