Trails is the first GPS app that allows you to record, export AND IMPORT tracks directly on your iPhone! Prepare and review your outdoor adventures on the iPad (easy exchange between iPad and iPhone).
O'Reilly: "Best app for hiking"
MacUp (Germany): "Best iPhone App for iPhone OS 3.0"
NYT GadgetWise: "Remember That Great Hike? My iPhone Does [with Trails]"
Record your hikes, bike trips or jogs directly on your iPhone. Easily import tracks by simply searching on popular GPS websites such as everyTrail.com and bikely.com to find hikes and jogs of other users and follow their tracks on your iPhone.
You can view your recordings (live or later) on an OpenStreetMap (the Wikipedia for maps) that include a lot of additional information (such as bike trails, ski lifts, ATMs). You can switch between road and topographic maps! Maps are loaded once and then stored on your phone, so that you can view them again even without an internet connection: offline maps!
Trails is also the first app that allows you to edit your tracks with a simple tap on the map: delete and label any recorded waypoint.
You can export your tracks with two clicks in the standard GPX Format. This allows you to geotag and geocode your non-iPhone photos (via e.g. HoudahGeo) or to share your track with others via Earth, etc. Or upload your tracks directly to everyTrail.com or into your TrailRunner log with a single tap!
- Record waypoints with altitude for multiple tracks (pause and resume as you like)
- Display your tracks OpenStreetMaps and select between road and topographic maps (that include cycle roads)
- Map cache allows you to load maps once and view them later offline (or abroad) without an internet connection.
- Edit recorded tracks on the map: name waypoints or delete unwanted ones.
- See the distance, speed and duration of your track while you record
- Import tracks from bikely.com, everytrail.com through the easy search or import a GPX file from a URL
- No internet connection required during tracking - ideal for holidays. (Loading of maps requires Internet though).
- Export your tracks along with time stamps as GPX file, to everyTrail.com and TrailRunner
- Select kilometres or miles for display of distance
Trails supports multitasking. Please understand that, continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life. Make sure to stop recording tracks before leaving the app in the background if you do not wish to record a track (check the arrow in the status bar). You can disable background tracking support under settings.
Updated for iOS7.
Trails has been released 5 years ago. Thank you for your ongoing support. If you enjoy using Trails, please consider leaving a positive review.
Fixes an issue when deleting individual trackpoints
Fixes issues on iOS 5
Adds support for the iPhone 5
Bugfixes and stability improvements
* Adds support to open GPX-files from email attachments.
* New icon
Trails now uses new servers for the OpenCycleMap and a new Style for the default road map courtesy of MapQuest.
- Fixed issues with import from bikely
Fixes missing icons on iPhone OS 3.x
Fixes issue with iPod music being muted while recording on iPhone OS 3.x
- Now with multitasking support: background tracking for iOS 4.0
- iPad version can now also record tracks
- Added support for the new Retina Display
- Minor Bugfixes
Added support for iPad
Recording is only supported on iPhone. You can prepare tracks on the iPad by drawing on the map or importing from the web. Prepare and review your recordings on the iPad and use Trails on the iPhone when you are out and about.
- Fixes issues with the import
- Removed PinchMedia Statistics
- Search and sort the tracks tables
- Added iPod controls while recording (music button)
- Improved import function
Fixed an issue with time zones and related problems with the stopwatch display during recording.
If you have problems with this or a previous update, try deleting and reinstalling the app.
Track segments: pause and restart the last segment or start a new segment when ever you like (e.g. when you have made a longer pause).
Improved import: now imports labeled waypoints (ideal for geocaching), track segments, timestamps and altitude profiles (if provided).
Improved UI while tracking.
Fixes issues with:
- the import of tracks
- the export as KML
- the map downloader
IMPORTANT: Unfortunately this version introduces a bug with the live display of the stopwatch: the time is offset by your timezone. Times are recorded correctly and the duration of your recording will be displayed correctly in the track's statistics. A bugfix is already on the way. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.
- Fixed lanscape view for recorded / imported tracks
- Added north indicator to mapview
- Map rotation now also works without Compass based on last two waypoints: tap the position marker or the north indicator to toggle between north and course orientation.
- Email export now uses iPhone's built-in mail functions
- Support for compass on iPhone 3GS: tap the position marker to toggle between north and heading oriented map. You can also switch the compass off under settings.
IMPORTANT: Please clear your map cache before installing this update.
- Improved map: better pinch zoom, scrolling and loading behaviour
- Added scale to the map view
- Redesigned track detail screen (removed "Last 15 waypoints" table as information on all waypoints is available by tapping the track on the map).
- Stability and perfomance improvements
- New icon
Due to a change in the cache structure, the old cache will be cleared when you installing this update. The cache and offline maps will work normally after that.
- Added background track function: you can now display a previously recorded or imported track in the background (in blue-grey) while recording a new one
- Added accuarcy information to status bar (above stop slider) while recording
- Improved reliability and performance of map pre loader
- Added map downloader: simply tap the arrow icon in the mapview to preload an area of the map for later offline use.
- Added a speed and altitude graph to the track view. Simply tilt your iPhone horizontally after opening a track.
- Added KML file attachment to the Email export (for easy imort to Google Earth) along with the GPX file.
Be aware that since version 1.85 Trails uses OpenStreetMaps instead of Google Maps.
- Added Topographic maps from OpenStreetMap
- Added setting to disable proximity sensor (some iPhone cases accidently trigger the proximity sensor)
Keep in mind that since version 1.85 Trails uses OpenStreetMap instead of Google Maps. If you want to keep Google Maps, please do not install this update.
PLEASE READ THIS INFORMATION BEFORE UPDATING!
- Trails now uses OpenStreetMap instead of Google Maps and as a consequence 'only' displays road maps. OpenStreetMaps
is the Wikipedia for Maps and offer a lot of additional information beyond road maps, such as hiking/biking trails, ski
lifts and ATMs. If you wish you can not install the update and continue using the old Version of Trails as you know it.
- Offline cache for maps: you can view maps that you have loaded once without an internet connection
- Online help
- Ascent/descent information on the track details screen
- Date of first waypoint included in "my track" list
- "My track" sorted with newest tracks first
- Recording starts automatically when adding a new track
- Smaller UI fixes
- The proximity sensor now automatically switches the screen off during recording whenever you put your iPhone into a pocket or otherwise cover the top of the screen. This will save you a good bit of battery. But remember: do not switch off the screen manually!
- Fixed an issue with syncing of larger tracks (>80 Kb) into TrailRunner
- Fixed an issue with scrolling on the map at the closest zoomlevel
- Improved the precision of the distance calculation
- Now the elevation is displayed when selecting a waypoint on the map for editing
- You can now name waypoints and take photos while recording
- You can (re)name or delete waypoints later on the map: simply select a waypoint by tapping nearby
- Now display pace or speed (simply tap the speed/pace display to switch)
- Now supports direct export to TrailRunner (free download for Mac only at http://www.trailrunnerx.com - version 1.9) via WiFi
New feature: LIVE MAP!
You can now see your track while recording it.
You can switch off the new map to save battery and data usage under settings.
You can also switch off scrolling and zooming on the live map to avoid unintentional interaction while recording.
Completed the french translation. Thanks to Olivier Bomard and Eric Jacoboni!
- Added direct export to everyTrail.com