The Biblical Hebrew application is designed for learning (or improving ones knowledge of) Biblical Hebrew and Aramaic. It is a "universal application" (e.g. - you only buy it once and it runs on any of the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad devices that you own) and it is entirely self-contained (e.g. - no Internet connection is required). The application is comprised of three main components (each represented by a separate tab-bar tab in the application):
1. Dictionary: The Dictionary tab provides three quick mechanisms to lookup Hebrew words:
1.a. Roots: One of the really beautiful aspects of the Hebrew language is that all of the roots of the verbs and nouns are derived from two-letter units that are usually assembled as part of a three letter root. By selecting the first two letters of the root, a listing will be displayed of all Hebrew and Aramaic words (Aramaic words will display in green in the summary) that begin with those two letters with a brief English translation. Once the list is displayed, tapping on a word will display a popup with further detail about the selected word. It is also possible to display a list of all the verses in the Hebrew Bible that contain that word or the BDB page for that word.
1.b. Strongs: If you know the Strongs number of a Biblical Hebrew/Aramaic word, you can go directly to the detail information about that word.
1.c. Search: If you know the English equivalent of a Biblical Hebrew/Aramaic word, you can search for all words that contain that text in one of their definitions. This function supports wildcards as well (e.g. - you can use a "_" character to represent any single character and a "%" character to represent any number of characters).
The Dictionary definition popup for a word includes (when applicable):
- The Hebrew (with vowels) representation.
- The phonetic pronunciation of the Hebrew.
- The Strongs transliteration of the Hebrew.
- The Strongs#.
- The language classification (Hebrew/Aramaic/Name).
- The part-of-speech.
- A button to access a list of all verses in the Hebrew Bible where that word appears.
- A button to access the BDB page related to that word.
- Common definitions.
- Common translation.
- TWOT (Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament) number reference.
2. Lexicon: The Brown-Driver-Briggs (BDB) Hebrew Lexicon is probably the most commonly used Biblical Hebrew Lexicon. A complete copy of this lexicon is accessible from within the application. In additon, individual pages can be displayed via the Dictionary word lookup functionality.
3. Grammar: Gesenius' Hebrew Grammar is the standard Biblical Hebrew reference grammar in English. A complete copy of this grammar is accessible from within the application.