From proverbial expressions such as “a stitch in time saves nine” to idioms such as “dead ringer” to common phrases like “put out” and “take on”, idioms and phrasal verbs seem to serve no other purpose than to frustrate and confuse serious language learners like you. Don’t despair! Thanks to the efforts of noted lexicographer Richard A. Spears, mastering American English idioms has never been easier.
McGraw-Hill’s Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs covers the full breadth and scope of idiomatic American English, making it an invaluable resource for ESL students as well as writers, scholars and public speakers.
You will never be more confused by American English again thanks to:
* More than 24,000 entries and 27,000 senses, with concise definitions and at least one example sentence for each phrase so you become comfortable using idiomatic phrases, proverbial expressions, and clichés
* Guidance on the correct tone and social context so you know when and where not to use certain words and phrases
* A comprehensive Phrase-Finder index of more than 60,000 entries that lets you locate phrases by key words, including common particles in two-part verbs
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – The colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - With new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches, you can get to the desired entry faster than ever.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry when you don’t know how a word is spelled.
Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you freedom to
structure your studies, the dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized, including:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
|American Idiom & Phrasal Verb|
|Oxford Dictionary & Translator|
|Collins World Dictionary|
|Medical Acronyms and Symbols|
|Ultrasound Anesthesia Atlas|
|American Heritage Thesaurus|
|American Heritage Dictionary +|
|American Heritage Dict.|
|Clinician's Pocket Drug|
|Talk & Translate|
|Nurse’s Pocket Drug Guide 2015|
|Oxford Urdu Dictionary 2018|
|Oxford Spanish Dictionary 2018|
|Oxford German Dictionary 2018|
|Oxford Chinese Dictionary 2018|
|Oxford Russian Dictionary 2018|
|Oxford Italian Dictionary 2018|
|Oxford French Dictionary 2018|
|Oxford Dictionary of English|
|Oxford Essential Portuguese|