Longplayer: a thousand years of music in your pocket!
Not recommended for versions of iPhone lower than iPhone 5.
Longplayer is a musical composition that has been playing since the beginning of the year 2000, and will play on, never repeating, until it reaches the point at which it first started, exactly 1000 years later. Longplayer is in effect an everlasting piece of music; its score mirrors a planetary system, six musical events whose orbits come into phase once a millennium.
Until now, Longplayer has only been accessible by visiting a handful of "listening posts" or via an online stream.
This app is the first standalone version of Longplayer, creating the music in real time based on the composition's thousand-year-long score. It requires no data connection and automatically synchronises itself with every other copy of the app across the globe. With this app, you become part of a community of listeners distributed through space and time, across many lifetimes.
- real time high-quality playback of Longplayer, with no need for a data connection
- plays in the background: listen to Longplayer while you continue to use other apps, and while your phone is locked.
- real time score display
- graphic and textual information explaining how it works
- detailed information section about Longplayer's history, development, composition, conceptual background and much more
- up-to-date news from the Longplayer website (data connection required)
Recommended for headphones or external speakers.
Watch a short video explaining Longplayer: http://vimeo.com/94166447
Longplayer was composed by Jem Finer and commissioned by Artangel in 1995. It is now in the care of the Longplayer Trust.