DBT Mindfulness Skills are meant to:
- Merging your Logical and Emotional Mind, allowing you to see the world as it is.
- Helping you to do other DBT Skills more effectively
- Increase your awareness and improve your decision making skills
DBT Mindfulness Skills are NOT for:
- Reaching enlightenment
- Obtaining inner peace
With Eight (8) Brand-New DBT Tools, being Mindful will become second nature on a day-to-day basis. Not only will these skills improve your DBT Training, but their benefits will be seen for years and years to come. Here is exactly what our tools are in this module:
- Observe: Fundamentally, as a living organism, you need to be aware of your surroundings. Inner, and outer of course. Practice in a fun little game that flips your brain back and forth between different senses. After all, without our 5 senses, and our inner senses (feeling, emotion, urges, sensations, etc), how can we know what is true?
- Describe: Once you can observe the world as it is, without putting labels on it, comes in your unique ability as a human: being able to give names to things and describe them. Being able to create inner communication by describing what we see is essential to adulthood. You won't be very functional if you cannot organize, categorize, and describe your inner and outer world to yourself, or others. Play an interactive game that helps you describe using Visuals, Sounds, and Feelings. Also check out a video that shows you how you can practice Describe when you are just out and about.
- Participate: Learn to participate in a Math game that takes you from using your logic, to using your emotions and memory, to using your physical sense of touch to participate in the game you are doing. Also learn how to participate in your day to day life when you aren't in the app.
- Non-Judgemental: Read a series of judgmental diary entries, and reword them yourself as practice. Then when you are done, compare how you did with our own non-judgmental interpretations of the diary entries. Also learn how non-judgment is use as a skill, and not as a moral compass or lifestyle.
- One Mindfully: Practice focusing on one thing at a time. Come up with small things to do one at a time and use our tool to help you focus in set intervals on things you actually CAN focus on. One Mindfully is about settling the brain from our need to Multitask and/or always be thinking about what we should have done, and what needs to be done.
- Effectively: Go through a series of yes or no questions in a little game that measures your ability to see whether a person is being effective or not. Now remember, being effective is about doing what gets you what you want, and not simply about working hard, or doing the 'right thing'.
- Breath: Practice breathing exercises that can help calm your nerves and become more mindful almost instantly.
- Acceptance: Use our acceptance tool to learn how to accept things. We can't accept everything, can you accept that? Well acceptance is taken one step at a time. Use our tool to help you accept one thing at a time, and only the things we really can accept.
Finally, and not an actual tool, is a describe of what Wise Mind is. Just hearing this term makes it seem like it is something amazing, and possibly mystical. We'll help dispel the illusions around it and explain what it really is. Not only that, but what it is good for, what it isn't good for, and how it fits into your life in a practical sense.
Oh and of course, most of our tools have a log so that you can see how you did, changes over time, and how effective each skill is for you personally.
** Please note that although this app was originally created with an intended audience of DBT Dialectic Behavioral Therapy Students, this app could also be used by instructors as well. It can also be used in conjunction with a CBT Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Program as well and is great for people with BPD, aka Borderline Personality Disorder, or Depression.
|DBT Mindfulness Tools|
|DBT Emotion Regulation Tools|
|Longshore Travel Guide|
|DBT Distress Tolerance Tools|
|The Worst Horoscopes Ever - Absurd & Funny Predictions That Will Make You Laugh|
|My 30 Second Life|
|DBT Interpersonal Relationship Tools|