This app is designed to help you study Greek and Latin roots and vocabulary originated from them.
Greek and Latin have been the sources of most of the words in the English language. A knowledge of Greek and Latin roots will not only help you remember the meanings of the words but will help you guess at the meanings of new words.
If you are preparing for SAT, GRE, GMAT or ACT, etc., this app will be helpful for you to learn difficult vocabulary such as abnegation, abstruse, ostracize, veracity, corporeal, cursory, dichotomy, extraneous, extradite, hedonism, etc. For example, if you know the root neg- means "to say no", you can easily remember "abnegation" which means "self-denial" and "renege", which means "to go back on a promise or commitment"
The app is useful tool and reference for anyone who is interested in Greek and Latin roots and the development of English vocabulary.
● each root comes with meaning and derived words.
Each word comes with meaning, sample sentence, discussion on detailed etymology, root origin and related words.
● study roots and words
- over 260 roots and 1200 words
- 5 units of roots (50 roots per unit)
- 24 units of words (50 words per unit)
- Flashcards: tap a card to see its meaning
- Match: match a root with its meaning
- Quiz: find a word that has the meaning in the question
● words from mythology
- list of words from Greek and Latin mythology such as herculean, titanic, zephyr, asinine, equestrian, opus, odyssey, siren, satyr, zealot, ambrosia, ethos, hubris, gorgon, halcyon, platonic, lethargic etc.
- Do you know that hector, stentorian, nestor all come from Homer's Iliad? Exploring the mythology behind those words and you can easily remember them.
- Over 200 words from mythology in total
● write note
- You can write note for each word and review it later
- You can write tips or tricks to remember the words
● create a list
- You can create a list and add a word into that list
- You can create a list of words that you have mastered or list of difficult words that you often forget
- Search an entry by using its meaning with advanced option
● other features:
- bookmark a word
- search history
- search for a word
- search for a root
● If you want to give feedback or suggest a new feature, please use the feedback feature in the settings
|Classical roots and words|
|Apps for Latin studies|
|English Learning bundle|
|Vocabulary builder apps|
|English Synonym and Antonym|
|Combining Forms Dictionary|
|Medical terminology - roots|
|White Fang - sync narration, note, quiz|
|Shakespeare glossary, lexicon and quotation|
|Learner's Thesaurus: GRE, SAT verbal master|
|Classic Novels - sync narration|
|English Idioms and Slangs Dictionary|
|Phrasal Verb Dictionary - advanced version|
|The republic - sync transcript, audio|
|The wealth of nations - sync transcript, audio|
|The City of God - sync transcript, audio|
|The Secret Garden - sync transcript, notes|
|Madame Bovary - sync transcript, notes|
|A Christmas Carol - sync transcript, notes|
|French Rhyme Dictionary|