New blocking rules! On 12th December 2018,
Laura fixed two broken sites, blocked anti-tracking adtech on two sites, and blocked six new trackers.
Better is a privacy tool for Safari that protects you from trackers and privacy-eroding ads on the web.
Make your web experience safer, lighter, and faster in Safari on Mac.
How is Better different?
• Blocks tracking scripts, tracking pixels, and behavioural advertising.
• Uses our unique, hand-curated, and open tracker database based on our own web crawls. Browse the encyclopaedia-like tracker entries on our web site if you fancy learning more.
• We identify and block the most prevalent trackers. This makes Better’s block list lightweight and effective.
• We base our blocking decisions on the principles of the Ethical Design Manifesto (https://ind.ie/ethical-design).
• Developed and curated by Ind.ie – that’s Laura and Aral – a tiny two-person-and-one-husky not-for-profit striving for social justice in the digital age.
• Open, transparent, and free as in freedom.
• Improves the readability of popular web sites.
• Spotlights the worst offenders… Did you know that the worst site we found on the web had 172 trackers? Better blocks them all and makes that site 4× lighter and 15.8× faster!
• Blocks blocker blockers (try saying that quickly a few times!) Whenever we can, we try to protect you from sites that try to put you at risk by forcing you to turn off your privacy tools.
• Your personal Do Not Block list enables you to turn Better off for sites that don’t play well with Better. Easily contact us about those sites so we can fix the experience for everyone.
5 star App Store reviews from around the world:
• “Best blocker I've tried yet: Clear and straight forward business model plus actually works. Feel safe blocking trackers and knowing the developers won't sell you out. Can't beat that.” (USA)
• “This app does everything it promises to do and sets a new gold standard in content blockers.” (Belgium)
• “This piece of software is just THE most essential thing to stay sane on today’s world wide web.” (Germany)
• “Thanks for such an incredibly simple app to make the web just that bit better!” (UK)
• “I love better, I use it on my phone and I’m very happy to see it on the Mac!” (Germany)
• “Does exactly what it advertises, constantly updated, and I really support the mission of this company.” (USA)
• “Fantastic blocker with a rational, ethical approach to privacy and monetization in this digital age.” (USA)
• “Honest privacy: Thanks for defending the public against surveillance capitalism!” (USA)
• “Buying this not only benefits you, it actively supports the ethos of internet privacy.” (USA)
• “Fantastic: The best adblocker I have tried.” (USA)
• “Best Adblocker out there: Unobtrusive. Works fast & reliable” (Germany)
• “It just works!” (Germany)
• “A fantastic approach to ad blocking & preservation of user privacy” (Australia)
• “Thanks to these two brave people who made this app. It gives me at least some peace of mind about the nasty surveillance practises of the big tech companies.” (Netherlands)
• “Better web: Fixes so many sites without you even noticing it.” (Finland)
• “Best ad & tracking blocker-type app I've used on the appstore!” (Norway)
• “Great app: Does exactly as described, works it’s magic in the background whilst I’m browsing the web.” (Sweden)
• “Speed and privacy: Easy to install and does exactly what it’s supposed to: frees your browsing of megabytes of privacy-invading tracking. Even if you don’t mind unknown third parties building up and selling profiles of your browsing behaviour (and everything that can be inferred form it), the speed increases of both download and rendering by removing those trackers really surprised me. It’s simply made browsing the web far quicker and is worth the money for that alone.” (UK)
• “It's good to see such nice people stand up to tracking and malvertising. This app does everything it promises to do and sets a new gold standard in content blockers. Spend a few bucks to take back the web from disrespectful business models. You won't regret it.” (Belgium)