StopTheMadness is an extension for Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Brave that stops web sites from making your browser harder to use. And it protects your privacy on the web. StopTheMadness is not an ad blocker: it offers unique features not available from ad blockers or any other apps. StopTheMadness is one of a kind!
(Chrome, Edge, and Brave require enabling "Developer mode" in the Extensions window.)
StopTheMadness is made by indie developer Jeff Johnson. If you need support, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or read the support site at https://underpassapp.com/StopTheMadness/support.html
Many web sites disable user interface features in your browser that you normally expect to work. StopTheMadness
ensures that those features continue to work for you in your browser:
• command-click and middle-click to open a link in a new tab
• command-key keyboard shortcuts
• opening contextual menus
• selecting, copying, cutting, and pasting of text
• drag and drop
• AutoFill/autocomplete of passwords, emails, etc.
With StopTheMadness enabled, the annoying web sites that deliberately make your life harder suddenly become easy to use again!
StopTheMadness also protects your privacy on the web:
• Stops hyperlink auditing (anchor "ping").
• Stops tracking beacons (Navigator.sendBeacon).
• Stops clickjacking in Google Search results.
• Stops clickjacking in Gmail.
• Stops clickjacking in Facebook.
• Stops sites from using the Page Visibility API to know when a tab is visible on your screen.
• Removes tracking parameters such as utm_source, gclid, and fbclid from the end of link URLs when clicked (but not after redirects; see Link Unshortener for that feature).
• ⌘-c to copy links on hover! Much easier than opening the contextual menu.
• Images in front. Bring all images on the page to the front, allowing you to drag and use the contextual menu on sites such as Instagram.
• Stop video auto-play. This works even on sites where Safari's Auto-Play Preferences don't work.
• Warns when you paste or type beyond the maximum length in a password field or other text field. Stops you from accidentally losing characters! (Feature not available in Firefox.)
• Stops "Are you sure you want to leave this page?" alerts. Close your tabs without getting stopped by the site!
• Force links to open in the current tab instead of a new tab. Remove target="_blank" from links so that they no longer automatically create a new tab.
• Stop scrolljacking, restoring smooth scrolling
• Automatically open clicked links in other apps. You can specify rules in StopTheMadness such as open zoommtg links in Zoom, open https://docs.google.com links in Google Chrome, open https://bit.ly links in Link Unshortener, and even don't open https://facebook.com links at all, to keep you from accidentally opening Facebook!
• Open links with an alternative browser from Safari's contextual menu.
• Copy link title from Safari's contextual menu.
• Stop Safari from automatically submitting login forms. AutoFill login forms and then make changes such as checking "Remember Me" or take CAPTCHA tests before submitting.
• Support for site-specific CSS customization in your Safari style sheet.
StopTheMadness is a Universal Binary ready for Apple silicon and macOS Big Sur.