App Annie’s Inaugural Awards — The Annies — Spotlights the Exceptional Successes of Spotify, The Weather Channel, Netflix, YouTube, Marco Polo Video Walkie Talkie and Game of War
SAN FRANCISCO —June 8, 2017—App Annie, the most trusted mobile app data and insights company, today announced the winners of their inaugural awards program –– The Annies –– at the company’s premiere industry event, Capptivate, in San Francisco. The winning apps spanned six award categories and included Spotify, The Weather Channel, Marco Polo Video Walkie Talkie, Game of War, Netflix and YouTube.
The first industry recognition of its kind, The Annies awards highlight and celebrate mobile app visionaries who demonstrate exceptional growth, industry impact and mobile app success.
“At App Annie, I’m proud to say we work with the most innovative digital leaders,” said Bertrand Schmitt, CEO and Co-Founder. “Apps have revolutionized the way we approach business — because apps have transformed consumers’ lives. We’re excited to recognize these mobile pioneers with The Annies, and we look forward to watching their continued success.”
- Spotify Named “Fan Favorite”: Music streaming leader Spotify was recognized as the top app by iOS and Google Play downloads during the 12 months ending April 2017, with the highest rating in the United States. In April 2017 alone, Spotify earned 4.1 out of 5 stars and reached 3 million combined downloads. Other finalists in this category include WhatsApp, Pandora, Pinterest and Bitmoji.
- The Weather Channel Won For “Transformation Through Mobile”: For this category, App Annie analyzed the top traditionally non digital-first companies that have transformed their businesses through developing mobile apps. The winner was determined by assessing average combined monthly active users (MAU) in the US in the 12 months ending April 2017. The Weather Channel earned this title. The Weather Channel had over 40 million monthly active users on iPhone and Android phone combined in the US in April 2017. Other finalists in this category include ESPN, Walmart and Chase Mobile.
- Marco Polo Video Walkie Talkie Wins For “Breakout Growth”: Video chat app Marco Polo Video Walkie Talkie wins for Breakout Growth. It is currently the top rated app that has experienced the largest year-over-year growth, based on combined iPhone and Android MAU. The app’s combined MAU in April 2017 for iPhone and Android phone was 17x its MAU in April 2016 in the United States. Other finalists in this category include Signal Private Messenger, UberEATS, HOOKED and Chick-fil-A One.
- Netflix and Game of War Take Home “The Most App Store Revenue for Non-Gaming and Gaming Apps”: This category highlights the top apps by combined iOS and Google Play revenue in the US in the 12 months ending April 2017 –– for both Gaming and apps excluding Games. Game of War, a massive multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG), broke into the top 10 by revenue for iOS and Google Play approximately a month after its launch, and has remained there three and a half years later. Netflix saw $11.5 million in combined iOS and Google Play revenue in the US in April 2017. Other finalists in this category include Pokemon GO, Mobile Strike, HBO NOW and Pandora.
- YouTube Earns “Most Capptivating App”: The most “capptivating” app in the US in Q1 2017 was identified based on the new App Annie proprietary eMAU index, or “Engagement by Monthly Active User” which measures app engagement, sentiment and growth for apps outside of games and utilities. As of April 2017, YouTube has over 70 million iPhone and Android phone combined MAU. Other finalists in this category include Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram and Pandora.
The award finalists and winners are determined by a quantitative analysis of App Annie estimates and rankings. The rankings are calculated using a combination of downloads, revenue and/or usage –– overlaid with growth metrics including year-over-year changes and overall industry influence. Mobile apps available from the Apple App Store and Google Play in the U.S. market were considered for these awards.
Capptivate, App Annie’s premier industry event, gathered top mobile app professionals to discuss the transformative app market. Attendees will included mobile industry leaders, as well as companies looking to learn best practices and successful strategies that to help them elevate the impact of their mobile initiatives.
About App Annie
App Annie delivers the most trusted app data and insights for your business to succeed in the global app economy. Over 800,000 registered members rely on App Annie to better understand the app market, their businesses and the opportunities around them. The company is headquartered in San Francisco with 450 employees across 15 global offices. App Annie has received $157 million in financing, including from investors such as Sequoia Capital, Institutional Venture Partners, IDG Capital Partners, e.ventures, Greenspring Associates, and Greycroft Partners.