Built for the love of chess, this app is open source and free for all.
- 150 000 individual users daily and growing fast.
- Play bullet, blitz, classical, and correspondence chess
- Play in arena tournaments
- Find, follow, challenge players
- See your games stats
- Practice with chess puzzles
- Many variants, available online and offline: Crazyhouse, Chess 960, King Of The Hill, Three-check, Antichess, Atomic chess, Horde, Racing Kings!
- Game analysis with local computer evaluation
- Server computer analysis with move annotations and game summary
- Opening explorer
- Play against offline computer
- Over The Board mode to play offline with a friend
- Standalone chess clock with multiple time settings
- Board editor
- Available in 80 languages
- Designed for both phones and tablets, supporting landscape mode
- 100% free, without ads, and opensource!
Chess variants are supported! Try them all:
- Crazyhouse: every time a piece is captured the capturing player gets a piece of the same type and of their color in
- Chess960: pieces on the home rank are randomised.
- King Of The Hill: bring your king to the center to win.
- Threecheck: check the opponent king three times.
- Antichess: lose all your pieces to win.
- Atomic Chess: nuke the opponent.
- Horde: destroy the horde to win.
- Racing Kings: Race your king to the eighth rank to win.
Just like http://lichess.org, this application is open source, and respects user freedom. It is entirely free and without ads, now and forever.
Learn more about lichess philosophy: http://lichess.org/blog/U4skkUQAAEAAhIGz/why-is-lichess-free
Source code of the mobile application: https://github.com/veloce/lichobile
Source code of the website and server: https://github.com/ornicar/lila
Big thanks to the volunteers behind this app:
- Vincent Velociter (lead dev) https://github.com/veloce
- Renaud Bressand (design) https://twitter.com/RenaudBressand
- Thibault Duplessis (dev) https://github.com/ornicar
- Sebastien Renault (dev of stockfish plugin) https://github.com/srenault
- Mark Henle (dev) https://github.com/freefal
New iOS 15 doesn’t work well with lichess. You can’t play background audio because the lichess app will pause it when you play a move. Even in zen mode or with sounds disabled this error occurs. Please fix.
Sep 28, 2021
The chess is fine, but making an online chess game is college level stuff at this point. The UI is absolutely atrocious, tough to get around menus or do actual study and positions.Claiming a win for a disconnect in a time based mobile game is a design decision I'll never understand, let the time…
Sep 27, 2021
This is the best chess app. There’s no advertising, there’s no pay to play, and the app respects your privacy better than many apps do. Lichess is a non-profit committed to hosting an open source chess server. It provides excellent services like game analysis and opporunities to play titled playe…
Oct 08, 2021
Keeps crashing and says it can’t load then starts a game in the process. That may or may not load for you if you restart the app. By the time you get it working the 25secs is done to move your first piece and you got yourself a 10 min timeout. I use this app every single day it would be appreciat…
Oct 11, 2021
You can make the game better by making the pieces that has been taken out appears in small sample out of board so the player can keep track his looses..thanks
Oct 07, 2021