With a growing, vibrant ecosystem, Amazon Appstore is an app marketplace just waiting to be explored! Combining data from App Annie Store Stats, publicly reported data and an internal App Annie developer survey, we've put together this infographic to help you scout trends and discover opportunities on Amazon Appstore.
(Click the image below to view in full size)
Flying high on quality apps – lots of growth ahead
Since its launch in March 2011, Amazon has amassed over 75,000 apps. It’s flying high on apps, and looks toward lots of growth ahead as its seeks to catch up with iOS (800,000+ apps, launched July 2008) and Google Play (600,000+ apps, launched October 2008).
Ready for more publisher growth
As Amazon develops into a robust app ecosystem, it continues to see momentum in publisher adoption. With over 19,000 publishers signed up - and a commitment to growing their international presence - Amazon Appstore is positioning itself for big growth in 2013.
Exciting market maturity lies ahead
Amazon recently announced expansion to “nearly 200” countries in the coming months. This is no small feat, considering that they currently support 7 countries. As they roll out their international expansion, they will surpass Google Play and iOS, which support 132 and 155 countries, respectively.
Attractive to Android developers
In a survey sent to users of App Annie Analytics, we asked why Amazon publishers chose to release apps on the Amazon Appstore. Here's what they said:
- I already develop Android apps, so it’s easy to port to Amazon (52%)
- I believe Amazon Appstore marketshare will grow (24%)
- I believe the Kindle Fire will be a leading device (7%)
The rest of the responses were split among sentiment regarding less competition on the platform and being drawn to Amazon Appstore because of reports regarding higher ARPU.
Home to familiar apps
A quick look at the Amazon Appstore top charts reveals that it contains apps that most users will recognize. Based on ranking data from App Annie Store Stats, we’ve compiled a list of the most popular free and paid apps on Amazon, counting from January 1 2013 to April 10 2013.
Most popular free apps on Amazon
Most popular paid apps on Amazon
Paid apps have a lower price point on Amazon
When looking at the average price of paid apps in the top 400, it’s interesting to see the range between the different app stores. Based on App Annie Store Stats data from April 10 2013, paid apps on average are priced lower on Amazon:
- Amazon: $1.73
- iPhone: $2.21
- iPad: $3.39
- Google Play: $3.55
Find the next big thing on Amazon
Discover what’s popular and trending on the Amazon Appstore with App Annie Store Stats, where you can study the top free, paid and new charts for every country and category.
Get Analytics for your Amazon apps
Publish apps on Amazon Appstore?
Sign up for App Annie Analytics to track your apps’ sales, downloads, reviews and rankings, totally free.
Methodology & Data sources
1. Data for these figures based on App Annie Store Stats.
- Number of apps per app store. Based on data from April 10 2013.
- Number of publishers per app store. Based on data from April 10 2013.
- Most downloaded free apps. Based on data from January 1 2013 to April 10 2013.
- Represents the top three free apps which had the most appearances in the US top 10, Overall category.
- Most downloaded paid apps. Based on data from January 1 2013 to April 10 2013. Represents the top three paid apps which had the most appearances in the US top 10, Overall category.
- Average USD price of paid apps in top 400. Based on data from April 10 2013 for US top 400, Overall category.
2. Data for these figures based on the following references:
- Number of countries supported by Amazon Appstore: source
- Number of countries supported by Google Play: source
- Number of countries supposed by iOS App Store: source
3. Amazon Expands Global App Distribution
April 25, 2013Market Data