See Previous Version
App Annie cares about the privacy of individuals who visit our website at https://www.appannie.com/ (the “Site”), use our App Annie mobile application (the “App”) or access our App Annie products and services (collectively, with the Site and the App, the “Services”), and otherwise do business with us.
As used herein, “App Annie,” or “us/we/our”, refers to App Annie Inc., a US company, acting by itself and/or through entities that are legally part of the App Annie family of companies (the “Related Companies”). Those Related Companies include, but are not limited to, App Annie Europe Limited, App Annie Co. Limited, App Annie Asia Pte Ltd, App Annie Korea Co Ltd, App Annie KK, App Annie Limited, Distimo B.V., Mobidia Technology Inc., App Annie SAS, App Annie GmbH.
Your use of the Services is subject to this Policy.
If any term of this Policy is unacceptable to you, please do not use the Services and do not provide your personal information.
Table Of Content
- How App Annie Collects Your Information
- How We Use Your Information
- How We Disclose Your Information
- Transfers to Other Countries
- Data Retention
- Our Commitment to Security
- Children’s Privacy
- Do Not Track
- Your Rights and Choices
- Third-Party Platforms
- Updates to this Policy
- How to Contact Us
1. How App Annie Collects Your Information
For the purpose of this Policy, “Personal Information” means any information relating to an identified or identifiable individual. We obtain Personal Information relating to you from various sources described below. If you do not provide Personal Information when requested, you may not be able to benefit from our Services if that information is necessary to provide you with the Services or if we are legally required to collect it. Where applicable, we indicate whether and why you must provide us with your Personal Information, as well as the consequences of failing to do so.
i.Personal Information Provided Directly by YouRegistration, Orders, Requests, and Other Information You Provide
We collect your information, including your sign-in credentials, username and password, name, job function, e-mail address and phone number, when you complete an order form, register to login to or use our Services, request that we contact you or provide additional information to attend an event.Communications
If you contact us directly, such as to request information, access the Services, or connect with Customer Support, we may receive additional information about you, such as your name, email address, phone number, and the content, date and time of your message, and our reply. We also may receive other information you may voluntarily choose to provide.Payment Information
If you pay to access our Services, we may collect payment information that you provide, such as bank account information, and other information necessary to transfer funds such as your billing details. We use third-party payment processing companies to process your payment information.Third-Party Account Credentials
In order to use certain Services, you may provide App Annie with credentials (e.g., username and password, first and last name, and phone number) that grant you access to third-party websites and services, such as your developer or advertising account credentials.
ii.Information We Collect About You When You Use the ServicesDevice Information
When you interact with and use our Services, we receive information about your device, which may include, web browser type, operating system version, mobile device model, device manufacturer and model, language and regional settings, your Internet Service Provider (ISP), unique device identifiers.Usage Information
We automatically receive information about your interactions with our Services, like the pages or other content you view, the dates and times of your interactions, the searches you conduct, how often you use our Services, or the location from where you downloaded the App.Location Data
We infer your location from information we collect (for example, your IP address indicates the general geographic region from which you are connecting to the Internet). We aggregate and anonymize your location data at the regional level. We may use location information to provide you with features, notifications, marketing, or other content that is influenced by your location (such as showing you the Services in your local language).Cookies and Similar Technologies
When you use our Services, we and our third-party service providers may collect information from you through cookies, web beacons, web server logs, and similar technologies. A cookie is a text-only string of information that a website transfers to the cookie file of the browser on your computer or mobile device. We may use both single-session (temporary) and multi-session persistent cookies. Temporary cookies last only as long as your web browser is open and are used for technical purposes such as enabling better navigation on our Services. Once you close your browser, the cookie disappears. Persistent cookies are stored on your computer or device for longer periods and are used for purposes including tracking the number of unique visitors to our Services and information such as the number of views a page gets, how much time a user spends on a page, and other pertinent web statistics. This information identifies your browser to our servers when you visit the Services and also helps us to remember your preferences from session to session to provide an enhanced user experience.
We use different types of first and third-party cookies on the Services for several reasons. First-party cookies are those that we place on your computer or device through the Services; third-party cookies are cookies that another party places on your computer or device through our Services.
- To track user trends and patterns. This helps us better understand and improve areas of the Services that our users find valuable.
- To provide you with personalized content (your user preferences, your default language, device and browser information so we can identify you across devices and personalize the content you see).
For us or our service providers or other third parties to advertise to you, provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our Services with our social media, advertising and analytics partners. We use the information from cookies to provide services better tailored to our users’ needs.Analytics
For more information on the cookies we use and how you can manage them, please access our Cookie Preference Center, or adjust the settings on your browser. Please note that if you disable functional cookies on your browser, some parts of the Services may not work fully.
We partner with third parties to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third-party partners may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on our Services and other sites in order to provide you with advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. Some of our advertising partners are members of the Network Advertising Initiative or the Digital Advertising Alliance. If you do not wish to receive our personalized ads, please visit their opt-out pages to learn about how you may opt out of receiving personalized ads from member companies (or if located in the European Union, click here). Please note this does not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads. Please visit your device’s settings or install the AppChoices app to learn more about how you may opt out of receiving personalized ads in mobile apps.The App
If you download our App by clicking one of our ads, we will collect data through advertising IDs, such as a randomly generated identifier (“IDFA”), which is an identifier that does not contain Personal Information. This technology provides a unique identifier to your device to attribute, or measure, user interactions with ad campaigns, installs, and in-app activity.
You have choices regarding how we collect and use information. For more information, please see “Your Rights and Choices” Section 9 below.Social media plug-ins
We offer social media plug-ins for companies that may include Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, and Weibo. For example, we have Facebook like and share buttons and a tweet button for Twitter, that offer certain interactive features and we and the respective social media company track your interactions with these functions. Additionally, even if you do not choose to use these plug-ins, the relevant company may still collect certain tracking information about you and share it with us.Cross-Device Tracking
We use data analytics companies, advertising networks, or social media companies, as well as features offered by data analytics services, to engage in 'cross-device tracking.' Cross-device tracking occurs when platforms, publishers, and advertising technology companies try to connect a consumer's activity across smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, and other connected devices. The goal of cross-device tracking is to enable companies to link a consumer's behavior across devices.
iii. Information We Obtain from Third Parties
We may receive information about you from our third-party partners, such as business or marketing partners. We may combine this information with the other information we collect about you to provide more useful information to you regarding our Services. This information may include, for example, your name, address, and billing information. We also receive information when you register through an App Annie partner (e.g., a partner who co-hosts an event, webinar, or whitepaper).
iv. When You Apply for a Career Opportunity
Our Site provides career information at App Annie, and the option to submit your application, resumé and/or CV. We use a third-party provider to collect job applications. Your provision of Personal Information in connection with an online job application is voluntary. You determine the extent to which you provide Personal Information. Please note that if you decide not to provide information, it may affect the consideration of your employment, unless our receipt of such information is prohibited by applicable law.
2. How We Use Your Information
App Annie uses your information, including your Personal Information, for the following purposes:Providing and Improving the Services
To provide, enhance, improve, and personalize our Services. We also may send push notifications to your device. You have choices with respect to the communications you receive from us. Please see “Your Rights and Choices” Section 9 below.Facilitating Transactions
Your payment information to facilitate your transactions and payments.Analytics
To understand and analyze how you use our Services.Communications
To communicate with you, including to respond to your inquiries and to send e-mails to an e-mail address you provide to us for customer-service or technical-support purposes.Fraud Detection and Other Technical Issues
To detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.Legal
To comply with applicable federal, state, and other laws and regulations, and to protect the rights, property, or safety of us or any other person, enforce our Terms of Service which may vary depending on whether you use or free services or subscribed to our paid services, or the content of the Site and Services.Marketing and Advertising
We will use your Personal Information for marketing purposes (as permitted by applicable law), such as contacting you about App Annie’s products and Services, and providing you with promotional materials that may be useful, relevant, valuable or otherwise of interest to you. We use Personal Information that we collect in connection with the Services, such as your location and your activities on the Services, to determine whether App Annie may wish to contact you in order to offer you App Annie’s Services and to facilitate the delivery of advertisements. We may send you (a) information about topics or content that we think may interest you, or (b) updates about the latest developments or features on the Services. We also may send push notifications to your device and a newsletter or similar materials to the e-mail address you provide to us in the event that you subscribe to receive such a newsletter. You have choices with respect to the communications you receive from us. Please see “Your Rights and Choices” Section 9 below.Career Opportunity
To consider an application for employment, including review of your supplied resume. The Personal Information may be saved in our files for future review and consideration, subject to applicable law. The Personal Information will be shared internally on a need-to-know basis, and may be given to our service providers who process data on our behalf.Other Reasons
App Annie may also use your Personal Information for any purpose where you have given your consent (where legally required).
We only process your Personal Information based on a valid legal ground in accordance with applicable law, including but not limited to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) when:
- You have consented to the use of your Personal Information, for example, to receive marketing communications or location tracking. You may withdraw any consent you previously provided to us regarding the processing of your Personal Information, at any time and free of charge. We will apply your preferences going forward and this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before your consent withdrawal.
- We need your Personal Information to provide you with the Services, including for account registration, or to respond to your inquiries.
- We have a legal obligation to use your Personal Information.
- We or a third party have a legitimate interest in using your Personal Information. In particular, we have a legitimate interest in using your Personal Information to conduct business analytics, and otherwise improve the safety, security, and performance of our Services.
We do not engage in general profiling or automated decision-making practices.
Where we need to collect Personal Information by law, or under the terms of a contract we have with you, and you fail to provide that data when requested, we may not be able to perform the contract we have or are trying to enter into with you (for example, to provide you with goods or Services). In this case, we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us but we will notify you if this is the case at the time.
3. How We Disclose Your InformationCorporate Affiliates
App Annie may share your information, including your Personal Information with our Related Companies in the ordinary course of business, and for the purposes of the providing the services as set forth in this Policy.Service Providers
We may share your Personal Information with our vendors, service providers, and other third parties that perform services on our behalf. This includes our payment processing service and data analytics service providers, providers that help us deliver and help us track our marketing and advertising content provider, and customer-service support. We enter into confidentiality and data processing terms with our service providers to provide appropriate and suitable safeguards for their processing of your Personal Information.Advertising Partners
App Annie may work with and share your Personal Information with our third-party advertising partners to provide you with advertisements regarding App Annie’s services. For more information about our advertising and marketing practices and those of the third-party advertising partners, please see the Cookies and Similar Technologies section above.As Required by Law and Similar Disclosures
We may disclose Personal Information we have about you: (i) if we are required to do so by law, regulation, or legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect against or respond to physical, financial or other harm, injury, or loss to property; or (iv) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual unlawful activity.Merger, Sale, or Other Asset Transfers
App Annie may disclose your Personal Information to a potential or actual acquirer, successor, or assignee as part of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in bankruptcy or similar proceedings).Consent
App Annie may further disclose your Personal Information with your consent.
We do not sell your Personal Information.
4. Transfers to Other Countries
The Services are provided from the United States and other locations, and we may transfer your Personal Information to multiple countries throughout the world, including the United States, in accordance with applicable local laws and regulations. These countries may not have the same high level of data protection than the data protection laws from your home country.
We rely on appropriate and suitable safeguards including EU Standard Contractual Clauses to transfer Personal Information to countries outside the EEA, United Kingdom or Switzerland where an adequate level of protection is not already guaranteed. If you are located in the EU, EEA, the United Kingdom or Switzerland, we comply with applicable data protection laws when transferring your Personal Information outside of these areas. In particular, we may transfer your Personal Information to countries for which adequacy decisions have been issued; use contractual protections, such as the European Commission’s Standard Contractual Clauses for the transfer of Personal Information to our U.S. headquarters, other offices or third parties, or rely on third parties’ certification to the EU-U.S. or Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield frameworks, where applicable. You may contact us as specified in the “How to Contact Us” Section 12 below to obtain a copy of the clauses, relevant data transfer agreements or safeguards we use to transfer Personal Information outside of these countries/regions.
5. Data Retention
Personal Information will be stored and kept as long as needed to carry out the purposes described in this Policy or as otherwise required by applicable law. Unless we are required or permitted by law to keep this information for a longer period of time, when this information is no longer necessary to carry out the purposes for which we process it, we will delete your Personal Information or keep it in a form that does not permit identifying you. When determining the retention period, we take into account various criteria, such as the type of products and Services requested by or provided to you, the nature and length of our relationship with you, possible re-enrollment with our products or Services, the impact on the Services we provide if we delete some Personal Information from or about you, mandatory retention periods provided by law and the statute of limitations.
6. Our Commitment to Security
App Annie cares about the security of your information, and employs physical, technological and administrative measures to protect the information you submit via the Services against loss, theft, and unauthorized access, use, disclosure or modification. However, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or guarantee that information on the Services may not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed. Electronic communications sent to or from the Services may not be secure. You should use caution whenever submitting information online and take special care in deciding what information you send to us.
7. Children’s Privacy
We do not knowingly collect, maintain, or use Personal Information from children under 16 years of age, and no part of the Services is directed to children under the age of 16. If you learn that your child has provided us with Personal Information without your consent, then you may alert us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If we learn that we have collected any Personal Information from children under 16, then we will promptly take steps to delete such information.
8. Do Not Track
Some web browsers incorporate a “Do Not Track” feature. Because there is not yet an accepted standard for how to respond to Do Not Track signals, our Services do not currently respond to such signals. However, our Site does not track you. If you want to restrict ads in general on your devices you may opt out from ad tracking by enabling “Limit Ad Tracking” or “Opt Out of Ads Personalization” (as applicable to your device) in your device settings.
9. Your Rights and Choices
i. Global Rights & Choices
- IDFA: You can reset the advertising identifier randomly assigned to your device at any time and can opt out of personalized ads by enabling “Limit Ad Tracking” or “Opt Out of Ads Personalization” (as applicable to your device) in your device settings. When you disable “Limit Ad Tracking” or “Opt Out of Device Personalization” (as applicable to your device), advertisers and their measurement solutions will receive a blank device ID in place of a device-specific ID.
- Push notifications: You can opt out of receiving push notifications using your mobile application or device settings. Opting out of push notifications may impact the functionality of our Services.
Upon request, you may exercise certain rights as described below:
- Access: App Annie will provide you with access to your Personal Information, which includes the right to obtain confirmation from us as to whether Personal Information concerning you is being processed, and where that is the case, access to the Personal Data and information related to how it is processed.
- Rectify: You can update or correct your Personal Information (e.g., your e-mail address) by accessing your account. You can also access or rectify your information by reaching out to us at email@example.com.
- Erasure: You may request that we delete any or all of your Personal Information by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org your first name and last name, e-mail address and phone number.
- Opt-Out From Marketing Communications: You may opt out of receiving our newsletters or marketing e-mails. To unsubscribe, follow the unsubscribe instructions included in the e-mail communications you receive, access the e-mail preferences in your account settings page, or contact us at the e-mail address in the “How to Contact Us” Section 12 below. Please note that even if you unsubscribe from commercial e-mail messages, we may still e-mail you non-commercial (transactional) e-mails related to your account and your transactions via the Services.
Please note that we have the right to reject access or erasure requests that are unduly burdensome or repetitive, or that cannot be honored in light of legal obligations or ongoing disputes, or where retention is necessary to enforce our agreements or protect our or another party’s rights, property, safety, or security, or other reasons under the law.
To make a request to exercise your rights, please contact us using the information listed in the “How to Contact Us” Section 12 below.
ii. For Residents in the EU, EEA, United Kingdom, and Switzerland
In addition to the global rights above, the GDPR or other applicable laws provide you with additional rights regarding your Personal Information, as follows:
- Data Portability: You may have the right to exercise your right to data portability to easily transfer your Personal Information to another company.
- Object: You may also object to the processing of your Personal Information under certain circumstances, including objecting to processing your Personal Information for direct marketing purposes, or when it is done based upon legitimate interest.
- Restrict: You may restrict us from continuing to process your Personal Information under certain circumstances (e.g., where you contest the accuracy of your Personal Information, for a period enabling us to verify the accuracy of the Personal Information).
- Consent Withdrawal: You may withdraw the consent that you might have given with respect to the processing of your Personal Information at any time with future effect.
- Complaint: If you are not satisfied with App Annie’s response or believe that your Personal Information is not being processed in accordance with the law, you may also have the right to lodge a complaint with the competent supervisory authority in your country of residence, place of work or where the incident took place, or seek other remedies under applicable law. For more information on how to lodge a complaint in the EU, please see https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
iii. For Residents of California
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) provides you with additional rights regarding your Personal Information.Collection of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we may have collected categories of Personal Information as defined under the CCPA, which includes the following:
- Identifiers, such as your first and last name, address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol, advertising identifiers, e-mail address, telephone number, or other similar identifiers
- Other Categories of Personal Information, such as your financial information or payment information
- Internet or Other Similar Network Activity, such as your browsing history, search history, and information about your interaction with our Site
- Sensory data, such as audio recordings when you call our customer service line
- Geolocation data
- Employment or Other Professional Information, such as your resumé or CV
- Inferences Drawn from Personal Information, such as a profile reflecting your preferences, characteristics, trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities and aptitudes.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we may have used and disclosed the categories of Personal Information from the sources described in Sections 2 and 3 above, for business purposes, including:
- Auditing consumer interactions, including, but not limited to, counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance with this specification and other standards.
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality
- For our short-term , transient use.
- Providing services (including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, analytic, or providing similar services on behalf of the business or service provider
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration (i.e., to develop new products or features)
- Undertaking activities to maintain the quality or safety of the Services and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the Services.
We also may have used and disclosed the Personal Information we collect for commercial purposes to provide you with our Services, as described in Sections 2 and 3 above.Disclosure of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we may have disclosed your Personal Information for a business purpose, including to the following categories of third parties:
California Resident Privacy Rights
Categories of Personal Information
Categories of Third Parties with Which We Share Your Personal Information
Identifiers such as your first and last name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, or other similar identifiers
Our Related Companies
Aggregators (such as analytics services)
Other Categories of Personal Information, such as your financial information or payment information
Our Related Companies
Internet or Other Similar Network Activity, such as your browsing history, search history, and information about your interaction with our Site
Our Related Companies
Data analytics providers
Sensory data, such as audio recordings when you call our customer service line
Our Related Companies
Our Related Companies
Data analytics providers
Inferences Draw from Personal Information, such as a profile reflecting your preferences, characteristics, trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities and aptitudes
Our Related Companies
Data analytics providers
If you are a California resident, in addition to the rights described above under this “Global Rights & Choices ” section, you have the following rights. Our business customers are afforded certain rights under the CCPA identified with an asterisks (*) below.
Verification and Authorized Agent
- Right to Access Specific Information. You may request access to the specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected, used, and disclosed about you in the twelve (12) months preceding your request.
- Right to Know Personal Information. You may request to know the categories of Personal Information we have collected about you and the purposes for doing so; the categories of sources of that data; the categories of third parties with whom we shared it for a business purpose and our purposes for doing so.
- Right to Opt Out of Sale of Personal Information*. The term “sale” is defined broadly under the California Consumer Privacy Act. To the extent that “sale” under the CCPA is interpreted to include interest-based advertising or other data uses described in the “Cookies and Similar Technologies” section above, we will comply with applicable law as to those activities. To opt out of receiving interest-based advertising, you can exercise your choice by using your account privacy settings or our Cookie Preference Center.
- Non-Discrimination*. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your privacy rights under CCPA or applicable law, including by denying you goods or services, charging you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through the use of discounts or other benefits or imposing penalties, providing you a different level of quality of goods or services, or suggesting that you will receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level of quality of goods or services.
To exercise your rights, please follow the instructions above and the contact information in the “How to Contact Us” Section 12 below. We will confirm receipt of your requests and respond within 30 calendar days, unless additional time is needed, in which case we will provide notice and an explanation of the reason. Also, to respond to your request to right to know and/or delete, we must verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you, or others. To do so, we collect your name, e-mail address, phone number to verify your identity. We also may contact you by e-mail or by telephone to verify your identity and ask you additional questions so that we can match your identity with the data we have about you. In some instances, we may ask you to declare under penalty of perjury that you are the consumer whose Personal Information is the subject of the request. If we cannot verify your identity, we may reject your request in whole or in part.
You also may designate an authorized agent to make a request for you. To use an authorized agent, we may require: (1) your signed permission designating the authorized agent; (2) evidence that the authorized agency has power of attorney under the California Probate Code; or (3) proof that the authorized agent is registered with the California Secretary of State and that you have authorized such authorized agent to be able to act on your behalf. We may deny a request from an authorized agent who does not submit sufficient proof.
10. Third-Party Platforms
11. Updates to this Policy
We reserve the right to change this Policy at any time. We will post any adjustments to this Policy on this page, and the revised version will be effective the date it is posted, which is identified at the top of the page. If we materially change the ways in which we process your Personal Information previously collected from you, we will notify you through our Site, Services, or e-mail or any other means. You are responsible for ensuring we have an up-to-date, active, and deliverable e-mail address for you, and for periodically monitoring and reviewing any updates to the Policy. Your continued use of our Services after such amendments will be deemed your acknowledgement of these changes to this Policy.
12. How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or concerns about App Annie’s privacy practices or about this Policy, or would like to exercise your rights in relation to your Personal Information, you may contact App Annie via e-mail at email@example.com or write us at:
App Annie Legal Department
One Kearny Building
23 Geary Street, Suite 400/800
San Francisco, CA 94108
App Annie’s Data Protection Officer may be contacted via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or at the following address:
App Annie Legal Department
ATTN: Wade Foley
One Kearny Building
23 Geary Street, Suite 400/800
San Francisco, CA 94108
App Annie Inc. is the entity responsible (data controller) for the processing of your Personal Information.