(Visit impcat.de for full details)
impcat (short for Interactive Miniature Painting Catalogue) is a simulator for photorealistic painting results on gaming and tabletop miniatures.
This tool gives you a variety of miniature images with individually customizable body sections, that you can paint with colours you own or perhaps wish to purchase. It works with predefined colour palettes, using names and values as promoted by their manufacturers.
To achieve a high quality result the system simulates a four step painting process:
Base colouring, layering, shading and highlighting.
- A set of 6 built-in miniatures, by Artel "W", with up to nearly 30 individually paintable sections
- A set of built-in colour palettes, containing Vallejo Model Color, Vallejo Game Color and Vallejo Model Spray Paint (over 300 colours in total)
- A file handling system for importing custom image and paint templates (visit impcat.de/faq for instructions)
- Access to a growing online library of free DLCs (visit impcat.de/about for full list of contents)
- An automated complement recommendation mode that lets you select a base colour and then automatically applies harmonizing layer, shade and highlight paints, which you can then customize at will.
- A photorealistic simulation of the applied paints.
- A shopping list generator that collects the data of all applied colours and gives you the links to the corresponding shop pages
- Saving and loading options for your colour configurations
- A colour creating tool, for creating opaque and metallic paints of any colour you like
- A colour mixing tool, for testing mix results of your paints
- A randomizer, for getting colour scheme inspiration by letting impcat ramdomly distribute a set of colours across the model
Due to the images' complexity, the simulations may cause lag spikes on older devices with weaker graphics cards, like a 2013 iPad for instance.